Saturday, April 1, 2017

Week 8

Hello World!


Week 8, home stretch here I come! 

So, this week was off to an excellent start, I started by reinstalling MATLAB after my computer stopped working, and then realized that I needed to get some work done on the paper end, by looking through some papers of social stigmas. This week literally sped by fast and was a whirlwind of information that I am still recovering from. 

After reinstalling MATLAB, I decided to take a look at the data I got. The only problem was that there was some uncertainty in the data that I had obtained. I needed to go through the notepad files and then export them to excel, which was a simple by very time-consuming activity. After doing that, I renamed all of the files by the trial number and the object that I was interacting with. Basically each of these files had the x,y,and z values for the motion sensors attached to the thumb, index,middle, and ring fingers, the pinky, and one on the palm. I had this data for the movement that my hand and the prosthetic did when grasping the object. I organized and sorted all of my data out into excel files and made sure I had everything I needed.

But the thing is that all of these time-consuming tasks are really hard. I may just give up. On second thought, this is probably my last post for this project since I am quitting. See Ya!









....


  APRIL FOOL'S!

Yeah, no I am not quitting, just felt like including that in for the sake of mentioning that it is already April! 

So back to what I was saying, with the data, I am going to be running it through MATLAB with a function to interpolate it. Essentially, what I will be doing is use a function to plot the data, and fill in any gaps with logical data given the other data. After I interpolate the data, I will begin with the next part of the analysis! If you guys need a better explanation, just ask away in the comments below. See you all next week! 
**EDIT-It won't allow me to post gifs, sorry about that**

19 comments:

  1. Hey Sri! Nice April Fool's joke :D Looks like you made some solid progress this week! Quick question: what did you see the most in terms of the social stigmas you read about? Thanks, and can't wait for next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saleena! Thank you! The most common stigma that I keep on reading about is how Prosthetics users want to cover up their prosthetic because they are ashamed about it. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Sri,
    Sorry that your stuck doing paperwork and organizing data but on the bright side at least you now know what to expect when you do research. I hope all goes well and I cant wait to hear about next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sri. Sorry that about your data recovery and analysis. Hope your interpolation of the data will eliminate any discrepancies. What exactly do you hope to find or are looking for in the graph, and how would interpolating it make it more accurate? Out of curiosity, what is your next part of your analysis. Can't wait to hear about your findings next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason! Yeah, so with the data, I want to plot it out and look at the movement of each finger and compare that movement between the two. The next part after the interpolation is plotting the data. I am going to plot it out and then analyze it for the velocity that it moves at. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Sri,
    Your blogs are so engaging! You scared me there with the April fools! Seems like your business keeps the time passing and soon you will be done. Your MATLAB stopped working but it must be worth it because it is the coolest part! See you best week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sri! I'm so glad you found an effective way to collect and sort your data. Did you find any interesting information while collecting data this week? Thanks for the great post! I am looking forward to next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thank you! I actually found out one of the biggest short comings of this project when interpolating the data. I realized that I had lots of zeroes because the motion cameras did not always pick up the sensors. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sri! I'm glad you're making progress. I'm pretty disappointed that the gifs aren't working. What future steps do you need to make before you consider your project done? Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Syndney! Thank you! Yeah, so now, I need to plot the data that I have and then I wil be able to finish up my project. I am done taking data, and I am on my way to finishing my presentation! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sri! So cool to follow your updates with Matlab. What specifically will you do for analysis? Can't wait for the final updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thank you! Yeah, for my final analysis, I will be plotting the data that I received in a 3-d plot, since they are in x,y,and z, and then I will be getting the velocity to compare how each part of the hand moves to grasp the object. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Hey Sri! That was a great April Fools joke- I was confused for a good two seconds until I scrolled down and saw that. What were you hoping to get from the data you took this week, and how will you analyze it? Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Korina! Thank you! I hope to get the velocities that each finger moved at, so I can compare the velocities between the device and my hand, and get a hollistic comparison for the grasping motion. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    I'm curious to know what function you're using to plot your data/ where it came from? Good joke! Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fajr! Yeah, so I used a simple 3D intetpolation function on the data for each finger per trial, so that basically plotted out the data and logically added in data for the missing points, based off of the larger trend. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Hi Sri, I liked your April Fool's joke! What confusion did your data present? Good luck with your further progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony! Thank you. Yeah, my data had to be interpolated because there were some segments of time for which there was no data, because the motion cameras could not pick up the motion sensors. I just had to use the interpolate function on matlab to get that data to be verified. Thank you!

      Delete