Friday, March 24, 2017

Week 7

Hello World!

So, last week was quite eye-opening and indicated a shift. Change is good, and in this case, it worked out well, I was able to use the prosthetic and I obtained data!

I realized that I may not have explained it that well, so as a quick summary of the new methodology for what I did, I began with my hand and the prosthetic device. I started out with three objects, a box, a cylinder, a baseball, and a roll of tape, all seen below.
Most everyday objects that one would encounter,
along with a baseball for spring training 


Then Dr. Fu and I attached motion trackers to my hand, one on each finger and one on my palm. Then with a motion tracking software, I used my hand grasped the objects, lifting them up briefly, before placing them back down. This was to see and obtain data as to how I naturally approached the object with my hand. As a test,  I used the hand, and just moved it around with motion sensors to make sure the sensors around me could pick up all of the trackers.

I then had a prosthetic hand attached to me. The Softhand pro device is actually quite heavy, and the one I used also had a silicone, soft rubber cover on it. I used it in this elaborate setup where it was attached to a rig made of pvc pipe and a stand, with the same module that it would use to attach to an amputee. It was then secured to me with some velcro. In the picture below, the hand has the motion trackers taped on, and it is attached to my hand. You can not see it, but there are two surface EMG sensors that are attached to my forearm. The white thing that I am holding onto is not a joystick, it is just something to hold onto, and when I move my wrist, I can manipulate the prosthetic.

Then I used the prosthetic and lifted the objects, and obtained the motion data for the different objects, doing three trials for each object, for both my hand and the prosthetic. 

This was also a valuable experience because I learned how hard it is to use the prosthetic. Sometimes the prosthetic does not register your EMG's so it is just a deadweight dragging down your arm. For me, the biggest problem was picking up things, like I played around with it, making my own small game of jenga with objects around the lab, and it was really hard to use. I think picking up the roll of tape was the most frustrating thing every, because, every time I grabbed for it, it slipped through the palm of the hand. 

Well, so that was the experimentation in my project. I used the prosthetic, and I got some real experience with the short comings of the prosthetic device. I mean, I only spent a couple hours with it, and to imagine Amputees look to their prosthetics with hope, and they use it for the rest of their lives, that is a great feat of strength. Thank you for reading. I have a lot more footage of my trials, but most of that is under wraps because it will go into my final project presentation. Don't forget to leave any comments below and share your thoughts on this week. See you all next week!

19 comments:

  1. Hey Sri! Super cool footage in this post :D Also, thank you so much for explaining exactly what your new methodology is (especially to someone who was having a hard time understanding the abstract in your last post)! Quick question, what do you think is the biggest shortcoming of the prosthetic after having used it yourself? The weight? Difficulty grasping objects? Do you think there is a way to help lessen the problems? Thank you, and I can't wait for next week's post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saleena! Thank you! I think that the biggest short coming of the prosthetic is the weight, and the thumb. Since this device only uses one motor, the prosthetic really limits the thumb's movement, so it is really hard to hold onto something after you grab it. I think that for the time being, this device is good in terms of price, and functionality, but later, maybe there can be a device with a dedicated motor for the thumb, so it would allow for more support when using the prosthetic. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Sri,
    Your research looks like it is going really well and it is interesting to watch as it progresses. Thanks for clarifying what your new method is and I cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sri! It is so cool you got to try on and work with the technology this week! How did you decide on those activities to program? Was it something your mentor picked? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Yeah, so one of the main functions of a prosthetic and a normal hand is grip, and grasping something, and this motion is used for support, and movement. With that in mind, we chose this as the main function in consideration. This prosthetic was specifically designed as a low-cost device that only uses one motor to pull the fingers in, allowing them to conform to one specific shape. So my mentor and I decided that this was the best way to observe the two, by comparing that specific activity. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Sri,
    I love seeing the pictures and videos from the lab! Have you been testing specific movements and patterns of movements? Or have you been testing the hands out randomly!! Great post this week, see you next week!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey! Yeah, so the main movement that I am analyzing is grasping, so I used the trials to grasp the three objects and get motion data for that specific motor function. I did try out the hand with some other stuff, but I only took data for the motion of grasping something. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sri! Thank you for including the videos and additional pictures. They were fun to watch and interesting to learn more about. What are the results from these trials going to tell you? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney! I took data just as an additional aspect, and I want to sort of analyze the data to see the differences in movement between the my hand and the prosthetic, to see how they compare. I hope that is easy to understand. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sri!
    Thank you so much for the explanation along with the pictures and videos. I understand how you were using the EMGs and the SoftHand pro device much better. What other difficulties did you encounter with the prosthetic device during the experiment? I can's wait until next week's post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! So, as for other difficulties I encountered, the most important one was that the surface EMG sensors, did not always work, and it wouldn't always register my muscle movement. That was an important aspect, which I think could use development. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sri. I'm glad to hear that your data collection was successful. I also like how your practical use of prosthetic put you into the perspective of an amputee struggling to use their new prosthetic arms. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I love the pictures from using the prosthetic; thanks for including them! It sounds like using it is quite difficult...it must be quite difficult to design prosthetics in general, too. It's good to hear of the successful collection of data. Looking forward to next week's post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sri,
    Your visual demonstrations make your research a lot easier to understand. I noted that you said the prosthetic is very heavy? What makes it so heavy, and what developments could be made to make it lighter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony! Thank you! So, the softhand pro itself is not that heavy, it comes in at slightly heavier than a normal hand, but the reason it has a good amount of weight to it is because it has a motor, some circuitry, and wires and cables connecting the metal links for the fingers. I think it could be made lighter with the use of thinner, stronger cables, but the thing is it needs to be a certain weight in order to properly lift objects. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Sri! So so sorry for the late comment: my laptop has been giving me a world of trouble, and I think I finally fixed it so that my comments would actually stay on the blog. Anyway, it's so cool that you were able to actually work with the prosthetic hand! Quick question: you said that the Softhand Pro device was heavy, so I was wondering if, when building the device, people take into account the weight of our actual hands? How much do hands weigh, anyway? Again, so sorry for the late comment, and I can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Korina! That's fine. Yeah, I think because we have used our hands, we become accustomed to it, but in reality the soft hand pro is only slightly heavier than a normal adult size hand. Your hands, together, are about 8.2 percent of your total body weight, so a couple of pounds. Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Sri, your research is blowing me away. Also, your visual demonstrations are helping me understand your concepts and innovations much easier. I can't wait to read more about this and find out what your result is from all of your research.

    ReplyDelete